Saturday 22 June 2013

Prawns in roasted Coconut gravy / Thenga Varutharacha Chemmeen Curry

It is time to empty the fridge since our vacation days are not far away. Starting with the freezer there are a couple of items that have been begging my attention. Guess I would need to double my cooking and halve the purchases. Had some frozen prawns left over from my last cooking which I wanted to finish. That is when I realized that I had some roasted coconut too. When I return from a vacation, I usually bring coconut in 3 forms. One is shredded and fresh, as chunks and a good part half roasted. The roasted one saves me much time while cooking.

So here is a super recipe for a prawn curry. It is guaranteed to make you eat more rice or chapathi than you intended to :)

Prawns in roasted Coconut gravy / Thenga Varutharacha Chemmeen Curry




Ingredients

1. Prawns, deveined and cleaned - 500 gms
2. Button onions - 3 or 4
3. Ginger - a big piece
4. Garlic - 4-5 cloves
This is the amount I used

Once sauted



6. Chilly powder - 3 tsp
7. Coriander powder - 2 tsp
8. Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
9. Fenugreek powder - 1/2 tp
10. Kokum (Kudampuli) - 1 or 2 depending on the size
11. Salt to taste
12. Coconut slices - 1 tbs (optional)
13. Roasted coconut - 1/2 to 1 cup (depending on it's availability)
14. Mustard seeds - 1/2 tspn
15. Curry leaves  - a few

Method

Crush the ginger/garlic/small onions. Heat a tablespoon or two of coconut oil and splutter some mustard seeds. Saute the crushed items until slightly brown. Pour 1/4 cup of water and add the powders. Stir it until the oil leave the sides. Don't let it burn. Pour a cup of water and add the kokum and curry leaves. Since my frozen prawns may let out water, I reduced the amount. Adjust accordingly. Once it starts boiling, add the sliced coconut and prawns. Close and let it boil. Meanwhile grind the roasted coconut to a paste and add it to the boiling prawns. Let it simmer until the prawns are cooked and the gravy has thickened.

Enjoy! It was very tasty and the whole stuff disappeared in a short while!

No comments:

Post a Comment